[sf-perl] One more reason why I use Perl...

James Briggs james at ActionMessage.com
Tue May 11 12:49:08 PDT 2010

On Tue, 11 May 2010 11:45:30 -0700 (PDT), David Thompson wrote
> --- On Tue, 5/11/10, David Fetter <david at fetter.org> wrote:
> > From: David Fetter <david at fetter.org>
> > -0700, David Alban wrote:
> > > wouldn't the comparison be more fair if they compared
> > > HTML::Entities::decode_entities() source with the c++
> > > and java versions?
> >
> > I don't think so.
> >
> > CPAN is Perl's killer application, and no other
> > language I know of has anything really comparable
> > to it.
>
> Exactly.  I agree completely.
>
> It is clear that C/C++ and other languages lack
> The One extremely well known all-encompassing
> web repository (on the huge scale of CPAN) that
> is the absolute de facto go-to location for all
> reusable code for all the world for all
> programmers.
>
> Only Perl has this scale.  CPAN is a monster
> compared to the nearest code repositories of
> other languages.

Well, CPAN is definitely awesome in many respects.

But most Python and PHP programmers are pretty happy with their expansive included libraries,
and C++ programmers have Boost, which basically everybody uses these days:

http://www.boost.org/

CPAN's drawbacks include 10 of everything, and alarmingly poor IPv6 support.

James.