[sf-perl] Favorite form validation modules?

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Wed Jan 6 15:29:03 PST 2010

Maybe it's my lack of front-end-web-rendering experience showing, but what kind of form validation are you doing?

My office generally designs forms so that fields either don't need validation (a list of state abbreviations instead of a text box; a Javascript date picker) or are validated by Javascript (checking email address formatting or credit card number formatting). That way the user gets immediate feedback and doesn't have to send the form to the server for validation. For things like full text search fields, we just throw the query at the full text search server and let it figure it out.

I guess I don't understand why "form validation" is something you'd want a special perl module for.

-- Mike

PS - We don't use Perl for HTML generation, since everything we do is heavily customized and hand-tweaked.
Mike Friedman | HighWire Press, Stanford Univ | friedman at highwire.stanford.edu