[sf-perl] cpanminus

Tatsuhiko Miyagawa miyagawa at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 00:57:58 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:02 PM, George Hartzell <hartzell at alerce.com> wrote:
> Fred Moyer writes:
>  > I got around to installing cpanminus via github today after CPAN
>  > borked the install.
>
> cpanminus looks really neat, except for the part where it screen
> scrapes to find things.

As it's documented, I'm working with people running CPAN to address
this. There are plugins (in the dev release and on github) to enable
hitting database service run by BinGOs and mst instead of screen
scraping.

> We just had brian d foy help us set up a
> local dpan and it doesn't seem like there's any way to point cpanminus
> at it....

Take a look at 'minicpan' plugin -- which adds a fallback to look at
your local CPAN::Mini mirrors. There's a plan to write 'dpan' plugin
based on that.

cpanminus should work great for 90% of the people (normal people) by
default. Plugins should work with the other 9.9% advanced users like
me. And I don't care about the rest 0.1%.

--
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa