[sf-perl] running multiple perl versions

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 22 14:45:42 PST 2010

By the way, the other night brian d foy was asking me if there
was a way for a debian-based distro to manage the dependencies
of multiple perl versions.  I thought about it a bit, and I think
the answer is essentially "no".

It *could* be done, but it would require doing what the postgresql folks
have been doing: they put the version number in the package name, so you
can install different versions of postgresql simultaneously. And in the
case of perl, that would mean creating new packages for every (or at
least many) perl modules, also with the version in the name.

Myself, what I tend to do is leave the system's version of perl
alone, and build my own.  I also then need to do seperate installations
of any perl modules I want to use with the different versions.

So if need be I create "autobundles" using CPAN.pm or CPANPLUS.pm
to clone an entire installation:

  http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=726221