[sf-perl] "Why you should create CPAN distros"

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Tue Feb 9 19:00:39 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Joe Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Rich Morin <rdm at cfcl.com> wrote:
>
>> Like, what distros should folks create, how to integrate
>> with existing distros, etc.
>
> Sure.
>
> The kind of scheme under discussion (I would guess) is:
>
>  (a) develop modules as cpan distros

This is an excellent way to develop a loosely coupled application that
still allows for dependency management using perl build tools.

>  (b) automatically convert them into native OS packages
>      (e.g. *.deb or *.rpm)
>  (c) use your OS's package management (apt, yum, etc)
>      to sort out dependencies during installation
>  (d) update your servers using the OS package manager.

I think these steps are essential in any sort of environment where
system oriented people are managing the production environment (vs
programming oriented people).  Personally though, with a small team I
favor just using version control to update the code on production.

> Anyway, I can see how this sort of approach could be a good
> way to go... but I would guess that a good distributed
> version control system would fit the bill fairly well also.

I'd love to see a talk on managing perl module development using git.