[sf-perl] "Why you should create CPAN distros"

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Tue Feb 9 18:52:34 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Rich Morin <rdm at cfcl.com> wrote:
> This seems a bit like a motherhood and apple pie question, but
> the devil is in the details.  Like, what distros should folks
> create, how to integrate with existing distros, etc.
>
> More generally, I am quite interested in the question of how to
> index and document all sorts of open source software, including
> the CPAN, Ruby Gems, and far more.  Might anyone be interested
> in a sub-session on what we'd like to see in infrastructure for
> this sort of thing and how we might try to get there?

I would think that you could index and document just with your system
tools.  I tend to pull all source code for a project into a directory
in something like $HOME/dev/project_or_customer/foo_repo/trunk.  I
then use App::Ack to search the codebase; it provides some great
search functionality.  Plus it isn't a shared resource that can be
crashed occasionally by developers.