[sf-perl] What version of perl and what OS do you use? [poll]

Earl Ruby eruby at knowledgematters.net
Wed Feb 3 15:11:19 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Michael Friedman
<friedman at highwire.stanford.edu> wrote:
> More generally, except for some spiffy syntax features that I haven't learned about yet, most everything runs on most versions of perl after 5.8, right? So how much does the version really matter? I've seen version problems with various CPAN modules, but not yet with perl itself.

I had some code that broke under 5.10, ran fine on 5.8. The code was
written to make use of Perl's OO features circa 1999/2000 (not by me),
and hadn't been changed since. After finding and fixing the bug, I was
surprised that it worked at all under 5.8.

perl v5.10.0 on Ubuntu 9.04, SUSE 11.1
perl v5.8.8 on hosted Linux systems

I've compiled from source when I've needed to, but these days I don't
usually need to.

I'm also interested to know how people manage Perl in their production
environments, that is, how you make sure that all of the CPAN modules
you need are installed and how you verify that all production servers
are using the same module versions. I usually build modules on a dev
server, then use cpan2rpm to create RPMs, then install from the RPM
files in production.

--
Earl Ruby
http://earlruby.org/