[sf-perl] the next generation cpan (research and discussion)

Paul Makepeace Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com
Wed Aug 25 15:22:08 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 15:17, David Fetter <david at fetter.org> wrote:
> It's not about paranoia.  It's about the down sides of ass-u-me'ing
> that download statistics contain useful information.  In the case of
> popular CPAN modules, they do not.

The Libetarian and Mathematician in me are happy to make up their own minds :-)

Just because it's not a perfect or even close to perfect doesn't mean
intelligent people can't derive useful data from it. Or, by
identifying where those weaknesses are *based on existing data*, work
toward a system that produces tastier breadcrumbs.

PS worse is better

> More on the silliness of download stats here:
>
> http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/database-soup/the-count-of-downloadia-part-i-5621
> http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/database-soup/the-count-of-downloadia-part-ii-5814

Interesting stuff, largely solved, I think, by registration (with its
own trade-offs, of course)

Paul