[sf-perl] the next generation cpan (research and discussion)

Tatsuhiko Miyagawa miyagawa at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 14:40:22 PDT 2010

Adam Kennedy has set up Strawberry Perl's default mirror to his mirror
and he has all the statistics information of SP users installations
(unless they manually changed the mirror). So do I for the cpanm
users, which queries my cpanmetadb app to resolve package names ;)

That'd be an interesting hack activity to automatically publish
rankings/graphs sort of thing by analyzing the logs.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Joe Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Joe Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
>> On the subject of "improvements to cpan", [...]
>
> A lot of people like the idea of publishing cpan download
> stats to use popularity as a guide to quality.
>
> It does not seem likely that that data to be made available
> any time soon:
>
>  http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html#Plans_for_statistics
>
>  "Does CPAN provide download statistics for authors?
>
>  "No we don't. http://xxx.lanl.gov/help/faq/statfaq sums up our
>  thoughts on the matter quite well."

Tatsuhiko Miyagawa