[sf-perl] poll: directory layout question

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 22 10:00:26 PDT 2010

I generally put everything together under /usr/local/lib, etc. because that way I only need one LD_LIBRARY_PATH for dynamically loaded libraries. If each tool is separate, then they need to have much more complicated paths to find the appropriate dynamic libraries.

(I've seen separate dirs handled via a tiny shell wrapper around each binary, as opposed to making a giant LD_LIBRARY_PATH for each user, but that's too much maintenance for me.)

-- Mike
Mike Friedman | HighWire Press, Stanford Univ | friedman at highwire.stanford.edu