[sf-perl] group logo

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Thu May 21 09:55:54 PDT 2009

Hey, everyone,

Sorry I'm catching up late.

Jeff Bragg wrote:

> It incorporates both Joe's coat of arms and a less violent but vaguely similar alternative to
> David's suggestion.

Huh?  A coat of arms' association with violence is vestigial at best.
The comparison is like saying that an Edwardian dandy's cane is
violent because it evolved from an Elizabethan nobleman's sword.

In any case, O'Reilly "maintain[s] the trademark on the use of camel
in association with Perl."  They tolerate its use by Perl Mongers
groups, but anything that borders on the commercial could be dicey.
This is a good reason to avoid camels.

It's also the reason the Perl onion was invented:  to have a symbol
that was owned by the Perl Foundation and truly free to use for the
community .  However, the Perl Foundation hasn't really lived up to
this vision; it's very restrictive about giving out hi-res (and SVG)
onion images.  See http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl_trademark .

So it would be really nice to have our own logo that is camel- and
onion-free.  Joe's fulfills those criteria, and it's very visually
distinctive.  I'm JAGM (just another group member), but I really like
Joe's contribution.  YMMV.

In any case, thanks to Jeff for putting in the work on an alternate
design--it's always good to have alternatives.  And thanks to everyone
for their feedback.  I love that I am totally superfluous to this
group now ("'Now?'" people say ;) )

PS:  Regarding T-shirts:  I used to print shirts on Goodstorm, before
they were bought by Zazzle.  I don't know how well Zazzle works, but
Goodstorm worked like a charm.  I like that they (still) offer
American Apparel, in a variety of cuts and colors--not the bag-shaped
unisex T-shirts you often see at cons.

--
Quinn Weaver Consulting, LLC
Full-stack web development