[sf-perl] OT: New language to learn? Erlang?

Daniel Lo woof at danlo.com
Wed May 20 09:01:41 PDT 2009

Hello,

I've been snooping around for a new language to learn. While I superficially
know a lot of languages or have studied them in the past, my hard core languages
are Perl and Php. I have been thinking it is time to learn another language to
my "hard core" list.

I want to party move away from the scripting languages to diversify my skill
set. As a final requirement, I need to be able find a job writing in this
language.

I've been snooping around and there appear to be 2 languages out there that
interest me.

"Lua" is a strong embedded language with salability and is being drafted in to
more and more applications and games. http://www.lua.org (World of Warcraft,
MySQL, etc...)

"Erlang" is a strong HA/salability language that has a REALLY neat/cool
architecture behind it. http://www.erlang.org (Telecom business, Yaws, etc..)

From what I've heard from individual friends is that Erlang the better future of
the two in terms of a job.

I currently have a job and I have time to put into learning a new language. Does
anyone have a language that they would like to suggest?

-daniel

--
Best regards,
 Daniel                          mailto:woof at danlo.com