[sf-perl] Fwd: [LA.pm] Perlmonks compromised

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Thu Jul 30 10:38:21 PDT 2009

frosty <biztos at mac.com> wrote:

> Monks, how could you!  Plain text!

Yeah I know.  But there are worse problems out there... like sites
that store credit card numbers in plain text.

The masters of Perlmonks don't strike me as the brightest bulbs
around... For example, rather than fix the search results to show
threading, they prefer to nag users to avoid changing subject
headings.  And the XP system is a joke (I'm pretty sure "Browser UK"
is using bots to moderate himself up).

> Thanks for the heads-up.  Now I have to try to remember which other
> sites used my "generic" password, and go change it on them.

Myself, I've been using different passwords everywhere (which means
I have to keep a written log of them... there's always tradeoffs).

> Then I will have to plan for the joy of spending the rest of my career
> hearing about how Perl isn't a serious language because the main Perl
> guru site stored its friggin' passwords as plain text.

Most of the real perl gurus aren't really terribly active over
there...  maybe we need to promote the "official" p5wiki more:

  http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi?perl_5_wiki

(After the last meeting, Schwern seemed very interested in the
possibility of switching it over to MojoMojo...)