[sf-perl] OSCON impressions

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Fri Jul 24 20:22:04 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Joe Brenner<doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:

> A brief round-up of OSCON impressions --
> We actually had a visit from Larry Wall at the Perl Mongers booth -- he
> happened to walk up behind Hilary Holz, just as she was complaining about the
> perl6 object model (with perl5, since it's not built-in, you decide what
> features you want).  I asked him if the design for perl6 might change next
> week. He said "yes"... but added that many of the design changes at this point
> aren't really visible in user features.

Here's a link to a picture I snapped with my phone:

http://www.redhotpenguin.com/oscon_2009.JPG

> In general, I ended-up meeting quite a few luminaries at this event.  Most
> embarrassing moment, for me: I went up to Perrin Hawkins at one point, and
> started treating him like Tim Bunce (fortunately, he commented that Tim Bunce
> was a good guy to be confused with).

Tim came by the booth also, as well as brian d foy.  Brian brought by
a few signed copies of Intermediate Perl for us too - there will be a
lottery at the meeting on Tuesday where we'll be giving those signed
copies away.

> Let me thank everyone who helped with running the sf.pm.org booth at OSCON (and
> everyone who volunteered, but weren't really needed):
>
> Hilary Holz was a key addition to the crew this year, logging a lot of hours in
> the booth.  Either Fred or I were around most of the time, but folks like Matt
> Lanier helped out, also.  I recruited a few people from the SVLUG list to come
> by and help out; a number of them stopped by but Greg Lindhal (I think it was)
> and Jean Phillipe Granchi was particularly helpful.

Brian Friday helped us man the booth also.  I have some special thank
you schwag (premium schwag as it is) for those who helped us man the
booth - please ping me at the meeting next Tuesday if you were in the
booth.

Big thanks to Marsee Henon also who outfitted our booth with a slew of
Perl books from O'Reilly.

And also a HUGE HUGE thanks to you Joe for making all of this happen!
What a great success!