[sf-perl] Advice on how to expose a class-wide preference

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Mar 18 04:44:43 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:28:54PM -0700, Anirvan Chatterjee wrote:
> I'm looking for advice on how to expose a user-settable preference
> that affects the behavior of all objects in a given class. I'm working
> on a module representing data stringifiable in multiple ways, e.g.:

Are the objects created in many different places?  That is, would it
be that difficult to just specify the type of stringification in the
object?

    my $data = Thing->new(
        stringification_method => $config->stringification_method,
    );

If you go the class data route I'd still copy the preference into the
object if you might ever want to change the behavior of some objects.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org