[sf-perl] Getting Help (was Re: Debugging a CGI script - how)

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Sat Mar 8 13:44:32 PST 2008

On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 01:29:15PM -0800, Quinn Weaver wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 11:17:33AM -0800, David Fetter wrote:
>
> > Does anybody have a reference on how to write a good bug report/shout
> > out for help?
>
> Unfortunately, I don't.  I'd be interested to know of one and, if
> someone can find one that looks good enough, I will include it in the
> metadata (intro email, et cetera) for this list.

Actually, I decided to write one myself.  Here's a first stab.  Input
is welcome.  (I don't promise I'll take all advice, but I'll at least
listen. :) )

*******************

If you have some problem code and want to ask a question about it, please:

- First try a quick web search (Google or PerlMonks), and consult
  the standard docs bundled with Perl.  It's amazing how many questions
  are resolved this way.

If you do post, please:

- Be polite.

- Include relevant code snippets, input data, output, and configuration files.
  Send the smallest bit that you think is relevant, not the whole thing.

- Describe the circumstances in which the problem appears, what you've
  already done to try to diagnose and fix it, and why you're stuck.

- Be patient with the speed at which people respond.  After all, these are
  experts who are giving you a free service!

Thanks,
The San Francisco Perl Mongers staff