[sf-perl] McS worth it?

yary not.com at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 08:10:35 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Daniel Lo <woof at danlo.com> wrote:
> 2. Can you learn 85-95% from a book instead of going to a class (online or
> other)?  For my B.S. many of the teachers relied heavenly on the books.

Is your BS in Computer Science or Computer Engineering? If not, then
an MCS will likely be a real eye-opener. I don't have an MCS, but
getting plenty of theory & hard work for my BS ECE (electrical &
computer engineering) gave me the comprehension to make the job fun.
Plus, classes gave me more motivation then I would have had on my own.

Having had a computer-specific degree already, I'd go for a masters if
there was a particular subject I wanted to become an expert in. For
example I'd love to work on new approaches to audio compression, and
I'd consider going back to school for some advanced courses (though
I'd want to see how far I could get on my own first...)