[sf-perl] What's DBIx

frosty biztos at mac.com
Wed Jul 9 16:29:11 PDT 2008

The main point is that the DBIx::Class project is the new hotness in database interfaces.  It's everything Class::DBI could have become but didn't.

It's the preferred "M" (Model) in Catalyst's MVC, but by no means depends on it.

DBIx::Class (often called DBIC for short) is used in all sorts of large production environments, including banks.  It's a very, very powerful object-relational mapping system (ORM) and I highly recommend it.

However, if you just need to do a little bit of database interaction it's probably overkill.  But for anything sufficiently complex that you start drawing entity-relationship diagrams, you should consider DBIC.

-- f.