[sf-perl] Massive Ubuntu Installfest for Schools (March 1st)

Brian Hamlin bh1 at light42.com
Sat Feb 16 10:14:00 PST 2008

Hey good news.. BUT

That guy at ACCRC, James Burgett has been claiming for *years* to be
driving machines to schools and hospitals and helping people out. yet,
as Chair of the EWaste Technical Council for the California Resource
Recovery Association in 2005, I worked with *the biggest* computer for
schools orgs *in the United States*, and no one could find or name
schools that ACCRC had actually helped out. Not to say that *something*
hadnt happened, but this is real work, and I was seeing more lip
movement than machines shipped from Berkeley.  Plus, James was often
personally hostile.

I have said to James personally, you are cool because you did this back
when it was impossible to do. I stand by that. However, things changed.
I dont want to get into he said, she said, but I cant let this go by
without comment.

Now ACCRC has some good Linux folks doing a good event. Certainly
publicize it and make the best of it. However, I urge you to keep the
rhetoric down when heaping praises on the effort. There are multiple
grassroots orgs that have been doing the hard work for *years* that
dont get enough good press.

Brian Hamlin
(415) 717-4462 (cell)