[sf-perl] seeking recommendation for discussion SW, 2-way email access

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 18 13:24:35 PDT 2007

Quoting Vicki Brown (vlb at cfcl.com):

> that can be read/posted to via the web or email (not just email
> "notification")  and which will retain archives until we delete them. The
> capability of email in/out is a requirement.

Mailman bidirectionally gatewayed to a Leafnode NNTP news server.
(You'll need the Leafnode 2.0 beta for the necessary local newsgroup
support.)  Disable the cron script for periodic expiring of news
articles, and you have your permanent archive on the NNTP
news spool side.  Mailman automatically does likewise on the SMTP side
-- with Leafnode's spool offering the advantage of participants being
able to post to any thread (of any age) at any time.

That doesn't include your desired feature of posting from the Web (use
your favourite webmail package, I guess), but does support browsing HTML
archives.

(Some people actually profess to like Web-based "forum" software and not
find it woefully deficient -- testimony to the cheerily wide range of
available opinion.)