[sf-perl] mod_perl and DocumentRoot question

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Thu Mar 8 16:43:09 PST 2007

I'm almost embarrassed to be asking this, but I've forgotten the
solution, and my old code belongs to someone else.  (Does this mean
I've forgotten more mod_perl than most hackers know? ;) ) I've checked
the mod_perl Cookbook and run some searches, but to no avail.

The problem is that Apache expects me to have a path in my DocumentRoot
for each URL I support.  For instance, if I have

http://www.example.com/foo/bar/
http://www.example.com/batz/

Then it expects there to be directories

/var/www/foo/bar
/var/www/batz

This is silly, because my PerlHandler is generating the content--it's not
stored in static files on disk.  Moreover, I have dynamically generated URLs
like http://www.example.com/user/quinn/edit .

What is the solution to this dumb problem?  Somebody throw me a rope. ;)

Thanks,

--
Quinn Weaver, independent contractor  |  President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
http://fairpath.com/quinn/resume/     |  http://sf.pm.org/