[sf-perl] installing CPAN inside firewall

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 2 14:06:06 PDT 2006

What I did to reconfigure CPAN on my setup was to go ahead and
configure it normally, but then go edit the Config.pm file it
created. In that file, I just removed the paths to the apps that it
shouldn't use and after that it started with the one that I knew worked.

You could re-run the configuration script and just null out the paths
in there, but that takes longer.

-- Mike

On Jul 31, 2006, at 10:25 PM, Vicki Brown wrote:

> My Current Job (tm) includes a FreeBSD box under the desk. Said box is
> running Perl 5.005 and is accessible via VPN.
>
> I can get out from that box over sftp.
> AFAIK, nothing else much works.
>
> When I attempt to run
>    Perl -MCPAN -e shell
> Perl wants to set up and configure CPAN.
>
> it insists on trying lynx, followed by ncftpget (neither of which
> work).
> There appears to be no easy way to tell it "Please don't try those;
> just use
> sftp".
>
> I can't even substitute sftp for ftp because it wants to use a
> nontransferable -n flag.
>
> It would be kinda nice to upgrade Perl.  I could just pull down the
> sources
> directly I suppose but...
>
> Please don't recommend that I use the Free BSD Ports Collection.
> It's not
> available. I think I'm lucky to have Perl 5.005...
> --
> - Vicki
>
>      ZZZ
>   zzZ                   San Francisco Bay Area, CA
>  z  |\     _,,,---,,_   Books, Cats, Tech
> zz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_  http://cfcl.com/vlb
>   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'  http://cfcl.com/vlb/weblog
>  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)      http://vlb.typepad.com/commentary/

Michael Friedman                     HighWire Press
Phone: 650-725-1974                  Stanford University
FAX:   270-721-8034                  <friedman at highwire.stanford.edu>