[sf-perl] Calendar of Bay Area Scripting Events

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Wed Apr 19 16:18:04 PDT 2006

I got a bug report (Thanks, Akbar!) about my iCalendar entry
not working with Google Calendar, as:

  Could not fetch the url because robots.txt prevents us
  from crawling the url.

Looking over our robots.txt file, and using this nifty tool:

  http://tool.motoricerca.info/robots-checker.phtml

I found that we had neglected to include trailing slashes on
our lines, so a partial match was getting treated as a full one.
I also found that the Google won't accept URLs that begin with
"webcal://".  Sigh.

After editing the URL and the file, however, I found that Google
STILL wasn't able (or at least, willing :-/) to download the file.

So, I copied the file to a different directory:

   http://cfcl.com/tmp/BA_Scripting_Groups.ics

Google accepts this, leading me to believe that that (a) they have
a bug in their handling of robots.txt entries or (b) the old entry
is stuck in a cache somewhere.  Anyway, this URL should work for
now, giving me some time to get a better answer...

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com