[sf-perl] Some well-formed XML?

Andrew Sigmund ASIGMUND at altera.com
Thu Sep 22 08:38:10 PDT 2005

Every value for every NULLable column consists of two parts: A flag
indicating whether or not a value is present, and the value itself.
Although this seems like overkill when you actually have values (if you
have a value, then it's obviously there (not NULL)), it is just the
thing for distinguishing between absent values (NULLs) and "empty"
strings.

Alternatively, I suppose you could simply not include anything about the
column in rows in which the value is null.

Example:
ColumnB is not null and not empty:
<ColumnA>123</ColumnA><ColumnB>MyString</ColumnB><ColumnC>456</ColumnC>

ColumnB is not null, but is an empty string:
<ColumnA>123</ColumnA><ColumnB></ColumnB><ColumnC>456</ColumnC>

ColumnB is null:
<ColumnA>123</ColumnA><ColumnC>456</ColumnC>