[sf-perl] Some well-formed XML?

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Tue Sep 20 11:11:03 PDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 10:53:26AM -0700, Rich Morin wrote:
> > You can get a pretty good start with pgxml. :)
>
> The link you provided is a wonderful example of one of the biggest
> problems in Open Source.  It leads to a set of code files, but
> contains no information at all on why I might want to download them.
> The README file seemed promising, but contains nothing but release
> data.  Sigh...

I found this one pretty helpful.  It lists dependencies, describes the
functions provided and gives some examples.  Patches are, of course,
always welcome on the pgsql-patches mailing list.

http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/contrib/xml2/README.xml2?rev=1.1.4.2;content-type=text%2Fplain

> > Although it's not obvious to me how you'd automatically turn a
> > tree into a database schema, you do have options for manipulating
> > whole XML documents or sets of same.
>
> The general problem of turning a tree into a database structure is
> non-trivial (at least if you want a useful result [1]).

Was this [1] supposed to refer to something that I missed?

> OTOH, I understand that it's possible to dump and reload a database,
> using XML as the transfer format.  Is there a standardized way to
> express how this should be done?

"The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many of them
to choose from." ;)

Cheers,
David Fetter david at fetter.org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!