[sf-perl] Opinions on: next LABEL;

David Alban extasia at gmail.com
Wed May 11 11:22:38 PDT 2005

Greetings,

Opinions sought.  Way back when, I learned that "goto" was a four
letter word in structured programming.  Since, I haven't needed to use
it.

I'm in a situation now where I'd like to:

  FOO:
  for ( ... ) {

    for ( ... ) {

       ...some condition... and next FOO;

    } # for

  } # for

It seems more straight forward than using a setting state variable in
the inner loop, calling next without a label, and then examining the
state variable at the beginning of the outer loop.

Anyone have any opinions, strong, style, or otherwise they'd like to
share about the appropriateness of using:

  next LABEL;

I know TMTOWTDI, but I'm interested in your opinions.

Thanks,
David
--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.