[sf-perl] Can't use an undefined value as filehandle reference

Vicki Brown vlb at cfcl.com
Wed Jul 6 21:01:57 PDT 2005

At 15:01 -0700 07/06/2005, Bill Moseley wrote:
>Really, I'd dump that script.

Really I'd rather not ;-)

At 15:01 -0700 07/06/2005, Bill Moseley wrote:
>That script starts out like:
>
>    #!/usr/bin/perl
>    print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";
>
>not a good sign.

You have something against Really Simple SeeGeeEye?

The script works quite well for what I need. I would actually recommend it.
(I did recommend it; that's how it got installed at work so I wouldn't have
to rassle with PHP).  What doesn't work so well, as David points out, is Perl
5.005.paleolithic.*

Happily, the script didn't use the scalar value in any special way, just
open, read, close, so I substituted a plain old vanilla FH and everything is
working.

* not as bad as a former company that was still using 4.18 when I got there
in late 1997. Shudder.
--
- Vicki

     ZZZ
  zzZ                   San Francisco Bay Area, CA
 z  |\     _,,,---,,_   Books, Cats, Tech
zz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_  http://cfcl.com/vlb
 '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)      http://heatercats.com