[sf-perl] Admin: Duplicate copies of messages

Quinn Weaver qw at sf.pm.org
Fri Dec 16 15:15:19 PST 2005

All right, I'm hopping onto this thread late.  I'm glad this didn't
turn into an actual flame war. ;)  (Actually I think it's a testament
to the level of discourse on this list, because I have seen people
elsewhere get really nasty over these same issues.)

The reason the list was CC'ed twice, I _think_, is that someone early
in the graph theory thread replied to the wrong sfpug, _and_ someone
"CC'ed" (in the To line) the wrong SFPUG--i.e. specified Perl Mongers
twice.  My original post was to the PostgreSQL group, but the reply
went to the Perl group.  This is also the reason people complained
about not seeing my original post.

I am writing a summary of the discussion that will patch together the
forked threads on the two lists, which I'll cross-post.  Then we can
all talk about the same thing. :) However, I won't have time for this
till late this afternoon.

I think it's fair to say that this is an unusual situation.  I
personally believe that getting rid of the sfpug at sf.pm.org alias is
overkill, so, thanks, Vicki, for keeping it, albeit grudgingly. :)

To make life easier... From now on, if someone replies to both
aliases, one person, once, should remind the list not to do that.
Then we'll have to put up with some annoyances as some more replies
trickle in with the same redundant headers.  Eventually the thread
will die out and/or people will start editing out the extra address.

I will gladly take on the role of Reminder.  Or I'll delegate it to
Vicki, if she chooses.  I don't want the whole list to do it, because
the deluge of "don't do that" posts could easily become more annoying
than the original problem.

Anyway, thanks.  We now return you to your original programming.
(You are programminng in original ways, aren't you?) :)

--
qw (Quinn Weaver); #President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
=for information, visit http://sf.pm.org/weblog =cut