[sf-perl] [sfpug] Practical theory: graphs

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Thu Dec 15 11:28:57 PST 2005

Chris,

> Why is it necessary to represent graphs in an RDBMS? I can't help but
> imagine that some graph-specific presistence mechanism would be simpler
> and more performant.

As much as I'm an RDBMS geek, I'll have to admit that there's no easy way
to do graphs in SQL.   The one really big implementation I know of is
using a separate graph engine as a pseudotable and plugging that in to
their RDBMS.   The problem with that approach, of course, is that it's not
transaction-compliant.

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus		       Consultant