[sf-perl] Call for bad code! Spring/summer talk by Dominus.

Quinn Weaver qw at sf.pm.org
Wed Dec 14 22:23:28 PST 2005

Hey,

Having lately produced _Higher-Order Perl_, Mark Jason Dominus is
working on yet another book.  The catch is, he wants your code to
turn into examples for his book.  The nature of the book is such
that he needs bad code, or at least suboptimal code, so that he can
show how to refactor it.  Yes, you can contribute anonymously.  ;)

Now the cool thing... if we get enough interest, Dominus will come visit
us and personally workshop the code we submitted.  This would be
sometime in late spring or summer, most likely.  We'd devote a
monthly meeting to it.

If you have code to send, mail Dominus, but ping me as well to let me
know you've submitted.  I'm trying to keep track of how much code
we can come up with.  So open up your crufty archives now! ;)

Anyway, why am I saying all this?  Dominus's own words are below.
Full details are in the URLs he mentions.

----- Forwarded message from Mark Jason Dominus <mjd at plover.com> -----

[...]

Dear San Francisco Perl Mongers,

I'm writing a new book, which I hope will be published in 2007.  It's
about code review and refactoring in Perl.  (For more complete
information, please see http://perl.plover.com/flagbook/ .)

To do this right, I need real examples of real code that other people
wrote.  I'll review the code and fix it up, and explain in the book
what I did and why.

I have about half the examples that I need.  I hope that the Perl
community can provide the other half.

For the next year, I'll be travelling around speaking to Perl Mongers
groups about this.  I'd like to give about one talk each month for the
rest of the year.

What I hope will happen is that your group will invite me to come
speak, and that some of the group members will send me some example
code ahead of time.  Then I'll read over the code, write up a talk
about how I think it could be improved, and come visit your group and
give the talk.  After I go home again, I'll write up a book chapter
about the code, incorporating the points that your PM group raised
when I gave the talk.

(Of course, you can also send code even if you're not part of a Perl
Mongers group or if I can't visit your group.  The more contributions,
the better.)

Guidelines for code contributions are at

        http://perl.plover.com/flagbook/contribute.html

To contribute, send code to:

        mjd at plover.com

Questions?   Send them to: