[San-Diego-pm] Quarterly Meeting Tuesday, July 12th

thierryv at abac.com thierryv at abac.com
Wed Jul 6 10:51:24 PDT 2022

Dear All at SD Perl Mongers,

It’s been 20 years this week since I’ve left San Diego, and my dearest SDCS group. I’ve been reading each of the mails of this list and am happy that the group is still active. I wish I could have stayed in SD, but I’ve been repatriated to France (and other parts of the world in the meantime).

I’m retired now but I wanted to let you know that Perl is still a great language. The last application I’ve developed is close to you, if you have a device containing an eSIM, as I wrote, in Perl, the application (and its database) that validates worldwide that no two eSIMs are out of the factories with the same security codes. I cannot say which device brands are concerned, but I’m sure a few of you have one at hand or at your wrist.  This application is roughly 100 000 lines of code, be it Perl (of course), SQL (Stored Procedures, mostly), PHP and Bash. It runs in factories around the world, with a central consolidation DB in Europe. It contains billions of rows of data.  My colleagues at work will qualify shortly my code against Perl 5.36 (compiled with over 200 CPAN modules). They’ll do that as our production platforms will move to RHEL8.

Have great meetings !

Best regards,
Thierry de Villeneuve