[San-Diego-pm] PHP gone

tim tim at obsoft.net
Thu Oct 18 06:06:36 PDT 2018

Can anyone tell me if this is important?
Tim the Doc

> From: "SIIA Software SmartBrief" <siia at smartbrief.com>
> Date: October 15, 2018 at 10:36:35 AM CDT
>
> Report: Majority of sites running PHP won't receive security updates in 2019
> Nearly 79% of all internet sites still run on PHP, which will no longer receive security support by 2019, according to W3Techs. The study estimates that roughly 62% of sites running outdated PHP will no longer receive updates, which could expose millions of websites to potential security risks.

<https://www.zdnet.com/article/around-62-of-all-internet-sites-will-run-an-unsupported-php-version-in-10-weeks/>

According to statistics from W3Techs, roughly 78.9 percent of all Internet sites today run on PHP. But on December 31, 2018, security support for PHP 5.6.x will officially cease, marking the end of all support for any version of the ancient PHP 5.x branch. . . .
PHP 7.2 will get a patch from the PHP team, for free, in a timely manner; PHP 5.6 will only get one if you're paying for ongoing support from your OS vendor.