[San-Diego-pm] Is Perl finally dying? [was: Seen this?]

Lloyd Evetts lloyd at crunchtimecorp.com
Wed Jul 31 15:50:01 PDT 2013

Even 10 years ago when I was first hiring Perl developers it wasn't easy.
 These days in San Diego I find it hard to find any qualified developers,
but a Perl developer is harder to find than PHP.  Junior and intermediate
the only Perl I've come across are people working for Yahoo in their QA,
but at the more senior level they are out there.  We post positions on
Craigslist every month for Perl even if we don't have an immediate need
just in case the right person comes up.

Nice to see some life in this mailing list!

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Néstor <rotsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that most PERL developers are older.
>
> I thought that the problem was a shortage of PERL jobs not a shortage of
> PERL programmers.  I like PERL but one of the reason that I do not work
> with it, is the lack of PERL jobs when looking for employment.
>
> I want to see what PERL 6 brings.
>
> Nestor
>

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Juan J. Natera <naterajj at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> As for the graphs showing the age of Perlers based on YAPC attendance,
>>> that is a very dubious proposition at best. Attending a conference costs
>>> money, a lot of it. Who will pay for Joe the junior dev to attend just
>>> because they could? Yeah, um. Better let's send Jack the senior dev over
>>> there, maybe he'll pick up some cool idea that'd benefit the whole team,
>>> and if not he'd just have a good time with the old buddies.
>>>

>> Yeah, that's why Perl Monger meetings are full of youngsters, because
>> they can afford local meetings. right? Except the avg age of attendees to
>> PM meetings is IME closer to the YAPC numbers.
>>
>> Finding Perl developers is a problem, as will tell you anybody that is
>> trying to get them.
>>
>> Juan

Lloyd Evetts
Vice President