[San-Diego-pm] An old yet persistent problem

Joel Fentin joel at fentin.com
Sun Sep 26 10:42:28 PDT 2010

The browser makers could make this easy but they won't.

I have needed this for years. Here is the current version of the need:
After some .JPG files swap names, I want the user to reload the
page from the server. Not from the cache. Elsewise, the pictures
appear in the wrong places.

I've been rummaging Stack Overflow and in plenty of other places,
looking for advice. None of it works for me.

1. The most typical advice is along the lines of:
must-revalidate">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma-directive" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Directive" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0">
No combination of these works for me.

2. The one and only thing that works well is to press the F5
button after the page loads. I have not seen an example of this in
the Perl code.

3. Perhaps there is some javascript that would do the job. I would
need it to do something like: xxx.pl?ID=1234. Not a link nor a
button - but executed in and at the end of the Perl script.

If the cure is to work in only one browser, I prefer Firefox.

--
Joel Fentin       tel: 760-749-8863
Biz Website:      http://fentin.com