[San-Diego-pm] jobs available, going unfulfilled

Chris Radcliff chris_radcliff at mac.com
Fri Sep 24 09:40:37 PDT 2010

On Sep 23, 2010, at 9:04 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Gautam> Yeah, the company I'm in is rewriting everything in Java from Perl. It
> Gautam> was because the Senior Designer thought it would be easier to find
> Gautam> good Java developers, then Perl developers.
>
> This is exactly what I'm hoping to avoid, because it's a step backward
> for humanity.

I work for a company that's doing the opposite. We have a few older systems written in other languages, but we're migrating them to Perl because our engineers all know it and use it regularly.

That said, I do think Perl hasn't kept up with some of "hot stuff" languages like Python and Ruby in terms of frameworks, which are the first line of contact for many new programmers. Want to use GAE? Learn Python or (*shudder*) Java. Wonder what this Rails business is about? Learn Ruby. Wordpress plugins? PHP. The language itself is becoming a commodity item, chosen as a side effect of the application environment.

~chris