[San-Diego-pm] SOAP server in PERL

Thierry de Villeneuve thierryv at abac.com
Thu Oct 21 15:55:55 PDT 2010

Dear Perl Mongers of San Diego,

I very rarely post on the list since I've left San Diego in 2002. Few
of you remember of me regularly attending the meetings ... that was
some 10 years ago !!!  I'm back to France now but have never
unsubscribe from the list and long the days I was in SD.

Well, this said, here is what brings me here today.

I have this (big) project at the office where I'll need to build a
SOAP server. The traffic is not expected to be very high: Something
like a transaction every 10".

All the business backend is already developed and I've started
tinkering with SOAP::Lite a bit. I've never had to develop a server
based on SOAP (HTTP-SOAP) before. So, it's a brand new situation for
me. The XSD and WSDL is already developed, so far so good.

If any one of you could shed some light on what are the "best
practices", best options, best CPAN modules to consider looking at
when to tackle this sort of project.

The time to process one of the request will be important (around
10~20" ... creating a SQLite db file of a few thousand rows to hand
over). I would rather consider an architecture where the server would
fork a subprocess to take care of each request. This is this part I'm
not feeling conformable with as of today.

If someone could get me a few pointers where to start digging, that'll
be awesome, specifically regarding the forking/threading issue.
Otherwise, I'll have to turn this part of the project to someone else
to develop it in C++ and gSOAP. I'd like prove PERL can do the job
here too ;-)

Thanks a lot,

Thierry