[San-Diego-pm] Problem

Joel Fentin joel at fentin.com
Fri Apr 25 11:21:37 PDT 2008

Gautam Dey wrote:
 > Joel,
 >
 >    Not really, since they will be tied to the first process, which
 > will timeout. You would need to fork off the processes.
 >
 > There are three ways to do this.
 >
 > 1. The way Urivan suggested, which is to store the messages on to the
 > disk, and then have a cron job throttle the messages as needed be per
 > domain.

This requires cooperation of the host. It also requires turning on a
cron job as a TSR and then turning it off later.

 > 2. The way that Chris Suggested, but using Postfix (or other MTA) with
 > a filter to handle throttling.

Requires cooperation of the host and more.

 > 3. When a set of message is to be sent, fork off a process, to do it.

Does this really close out the first process?

=======================

I also tried the following suggested by a friend:

DispSuccessMsg();
close(STDin); #close I/O handles
close(STDOUT);
close(STDERR);
sleep 30;
open(TEST,">>xxx");
print TEST scalar(localtime())."\n";
close TEST;
die 'fff';

What this script does:

+ displays the message (good)
+ prints to xxx 30 seconds later (good)
+ the link in the message does not respond til after 30 seconds (bad)
+ if the operator hits the back button, it doesn't screwup anything (good)

This probably has the disadvantage of presenting the operator with a
timeout.

The overarching question:

Is there a simple way to spawn a second process and close out the first
process as the second one runs?

perl perl perl
--
Joel Fentin       tel: 760-749-8863