[San-Diego-pm] Problem

Joel Fentin joel at fentin.com
Thu Apr 24 18:01:55 PDT 2008

Urivan Saaib wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:36:27 PDT Joel Fentin wrote:
>> The goal is to send emails to a group of members of a website. Yahoo and
>> perhaps others have spam protections in place where they delay the
>> sending of the emails which causes a browser timeout. One way around
>> this (found with some experimenting) is:
>
> Overall, you will be suffering the same situation as your mailing list
> grows, then incrementing the  client timeout on your apache server will be
> required.
>
> I'll suggest to change your approach to something like the following:
>
> 1. Edit the message using an HTML form
> 2. Post the content to your perl CGI
> 3. Your perl code saves the content and flags a new message
> 4. Something like a cron job could be monitoring the flag and send the
> message if necessary
> 5. After sending messages it updated the flag (with a date stamp possible?)
>
> This way you won't be waiting for the emails being sent. You'll just have
> to wait for the next minute and have your HTML form to update every X secs
> to display the resulting message from your cron script.
>
> Just my $0.02
>
> Regards,
> Urivan A. Flores Saaib
> CiberLinux Networking
> Email: saaib at ciberlinux.net

Thank you Urivan,

I don't fully understand what you are saying.

The people sending emails on the site are not computer savvy. They are
using a form I have generated for them. As soon as they press the send
button, I wish to acknowledge their efforts and give them a way to go
somewhere else. Meanwhile the server is sending the emails one by one
every 15 seconds.

 > 1. Edit the message using an HTML form

I don't understand what editing has to do with anything. When you say
"the message" do you mean the user generated email message or the
acknowledgment message?

 > 2. Post the content to your perl CGI

Post the content of what to what?

 > 3. Your perl code saves the content and flags a new message

Greek!

 > 4. Something like a cron job could be monitoring the flag and send the
 > message if necessary

Send what message to whom?

 > 5. After sending messages it updated the flag (with a date stamp
possible?)

More Greek!

I simply wish to display a message and let the server work. If my Apache
2.2 can do it, is there a setting that will allow the Apache 1.3 to do it?

I have tried experiments in which the user generates his message in one
form presented by Perl, and the sending is done with another. Even a
command like system(2nd Perl program) did not work as hoped.

--
Joel Fentin       tel: 760-749-8863
Email:            http://fentin.com/me/ContactMe.html