[San-Diego-pm] Meeting Recap, 2007-01-08

Chris Grau chris at chrisgrau.com
Tue Jan 9 14:36:26 PST 2007

We're off to a great start to the 2007 meeting season.  We had an
excellent turn out last night and we all had a lot of fun.  Those
regulars -- a word I use in its loosest sense -- who attended were,

+ Bob Kleemann
+ Brian Manning
+ Chris Grau
+ Dan Risse
+ Emile Aben
+ Joel Fentin
+ Urivan Flores-Saaib

Also, joining us for the first time was Rick.  At least, I hope his name
is Rick.  I do have confirmation from one other person that it is.  Glad
to have some fresh, unsuspecting, blood.

We had a special surprise guest last night.  Randal Schwartz, known far
and wide for... oh heck, you all know who he is.  Anyway, he happened to
be in town, so he stopped by for a meal and for some Perlish
camaraderie.

As is our custom, there was no agenda, no topics, no plan, and sometimes
no tea.  The closest thing we had to such a beast was a quick discussion
between Bob, Joel, and Chris regarding passing the keys to the web site
from Joel to Chris.  After which, Chris shared the Lisbon Perl Mongers
home page[0] to get everyone's gears turning over ideas for San Diego's
web site.

Once this drudgery was accomplished, the meeting quickly turned into Q&A
with Randal.  A brief overview of topics included (and I'm working from
memory here, so anyone may feel free to chime in with discussion):

+ Perl 6: how to teach it to others, how it works with Perl 5
+ "Learning Perl" has no Spanish translation
+ Placing "Learning Perl 6" under a Creative Commons license and
  cornering the market
+ Photography and Aperture[1]
+ It's pronounced "ess que ell," not "sequel"
+ Dan's "absolutify" pragma[2]
+ Canada, Australia, and Randal's ongoing enjoyment with the US court
  system

That's all I have for now.  It was a great meeting and I can't wait for
the next one.  In the meantime, keep an eye out for mail about the web
site.

-chris

[0] http://lisbon.pm.org/
[1] http://www.apple.com/aperture/