[San-Diego-pm] Introductory Perl/CPAN Talk Ideas

David Romano david.romano at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 00:06:20 PDT 2006

Chris Grau wrote on Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 10:25:48AM PDT:
> As I mentioned last night, I'd like to put together an introductory
> "what can one do with Perl and the CPAN?" talk geared toward beginning
> to intermediate Linux users/admins who don't really know that much about
> Perl or programming.  I have a few ideas, but I'd like to solicit the
> group to see what material you all would like to see in this type of
> talk.
>
> So, ideas?  Suggestions?  I've deliberately omitted my own ideas to
> avoid biasing you all with my own biases. :)
For my former employer I used Net::{SSH::Perl,FTP} to manage automated
testing on client machines and then used another perl script to
generate stats for how well the run did. Also, I was the Perl junkie
there, so if anyone needed to munge data really quickly, they'd ask me
if I could do it quickly. At times I've used Tie::File.  Our sysadmin
was also grateful for something he didn't know about:
perl -MCPAN -e shell

Intermediate Linux users (and maybe sysadmins) might like to know about
Mail::{Audit,Sendmail} and WWW::Mechanize, all of which I've found
useful. I think most of the above can be targeted to those who know
just a little programming.

- David

--
"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still
sinners, Christ died for us."