[San-Diego-pm] Perl Meeting on Monday, May 9th

Bill Davidson billdav at cox.net
Thu May 12 20:18:22 PDT 2005

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> However, most people don't know why they need triggers, rules, views,
> and subselectes, and good data integrity.

Testify!

 From my experience, most people who work on databases don't seem
to get a lot of instruction in serious databases before they start
working with them.  I know I didn't.  After I took some classes
and learned how to use some of these more advanced features, my
opinions changed considerably.

MySQL is good for some things.  It just runs out of power eventually
when other RDBMS's keep on going.  I've looked at the 5.0 enhancements
and while they are a step in the right direction, they are still
very far behind PG and Oracle.

Also, PG is free for all purposes.  MySQL isn't.

--Bill Davidson