[San-Diego-pm] Operating on files over there

Joel Fentin joel at fentin.com
Fri Sep 24 11:34:47 CDT 2004

Emile Aben wrote:

>>From the description it is not clear to me what the
> exact problem is.

Example of the problem:
The first of these two lines does not work.
The second does.
rename("http://xxx.com/cgi-bin/temp.txt","http://xxx.com/cgi-bin/temp.old");

rename("./temp.txt","./temp.old");

The lesson seems to be that absolute addressing does not work. I am
going to need absolute addressing to rename temp.txt at another URL -
unless the other URL is on the very same server with xxx.com.
=========================
> * Are the files you want to process on the same
> machine but in a different website-tree as your
> CGI-script?

Possibly. If so, I can revert to relative addressing.
> * Do you have complete control over the machine(s) on
> which the files are located,

Nope!

  or are we talking about a
> hosted setup?

Hosted!!

--
Joel Fentin    tel: 760-749-8863    FAX: 760-749-8864
Contact me:    http://fentin.com/me/ContactMe.html