Unbiased proof that perl is the best.

Bob Kleemann rkleeman at energoncube.net
Wed Oct 24 19:23:44 CDT 2001

~sdpm~
On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Chuck Phillips wrote:

> ~sdpm~
> Hello all,
>
> Working on a project that has a in-house ASP developer that is spouting
> Perl myths so as to eliminate it as an option for development. I'd hate
> to have to do this in ASP, so my question is:
>
> Where can I find unbiased proof that perl is faster, more flexible, more
> mature, etc than ASP, JSP, etc..

Well, you'll have to define "proof" a little better.  Do you want speed
statistics on run time or development time; do you want comparisons of the
development technologies; do you want price comparisons of hardware to run
each solution.  Assuming you know the answers to those, I think there has
been at least one or more articles on use Perl;  Do a search there
http://use.perl.org/  You could also reference back articles at
http://www.perl.com/, testimonials from this group, or one of numerous
books on developing for the web with Perl.

Assuming that fails, hold up a roll of duct tape and say "This is perl,
this can wrap snakes and cofee beans and make them work together.  Can
your technology do this?"  ;-)

> Extra-credit question: Why should I use MySQL over Sybase?

Depends on your application.  For speed or ease of maitainince, MySQL is
generally regarded as a *big* winner, however, if you need some real DB
technologies (transactions is the first example), then you really are
better off with something that does already support it: Oracle or Sybase
for the big dollar accounts, Postgres or (... what's the name of that
other one that was released by Borland?) for the open-source varieties.

"Legitimate" sources reiterating these points may be hard to come by
though.  I'm not aware of any off the top of my head.

~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org