Free Dmitry

Bob Kleemann rkleeman at energoncube.net
Fri Jul 20 18:11:17 CDT 2001

~sdpm~
Be aware of this though:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/07/20/2045220&mode=thread

EFF Gets Meeting With Adobe, Protest Cancelled
[The Courts] Posted by Hemos on 12:41 PM July 20th, 2001
from the making-progress dept.
A number of people have sent in the e-mail that just crossed the
free-sklyarov mailing list, that essentially states that the EFF and Adobe
will have a meeting July 23rd. They are putting planned proest on hold.
Click below for more information.

h-=-

Congratulations folks!

The pressure we all have put on Adobe has resulted in an agreement to meet
with representatives from the Electronic Frontier Foundation on this
Monday morning, July 23.

For that reason, EFF has decided to:

PUT THE JULY 23 PROTEST ON HOLD

Please help us act in good faith and postpone the protest until we have a
chance to negotiate with Adobe.

Of course, we can always rekindle the protest if Adobe does not agree to
withdraw their complaint to the US Department of Justice regarding Dmitry
Sklyarov and to refuse to pursue further prosecutions under the DMCA for
cases that should be prevented under fair use provisions of US copyright
law.

And also, if the US Attorney's office insists on prosecuting Dmitry
without a current complaint from Adobe, then we will continue protests
directed at them rather than at Adobe.

If you still feel that you have to protest on Monday, you are of course
free to do so. However, it may be a more effective use of our collective
energies to act in a coordinated way to get Dmitry out of jail.

I am writing a media release to this effect as soon as I sent this email
to you... wanted you all to know first.

Free Dmitry,

Will Doherty
Online Activist / Media Relations
Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
Web http://www.eff.org

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Bob La Quey wrote:

> ~sdpm~
> Hola PerlMongers,
>
> Have any of you been following this flap?
> The list has attracted over 400 subscribers in the first two days of
> its existence. Traffic is running around 50 messages/hour and bursts
> to 100 ...
>
> There will be alot of activity at the OSCON this next week
> protesting the Sklavsky Affair and the DMCA. For those
> who might be intrested, I suggest that all those concerned
> with this issue who are in San Diego by Sunday evening can
> meet at say:
>
> 8:00 PM in the Lobby
> Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina
> 1380 Harbor Island Drive
> San Diego, California 92101
>
> This is really a natural place for old friends attending the
> OSCON to meet first anyway. We just hold up a few "FREE DMITRY"
> signs and then self-organize from there. If it is crowd then
> we will find a place to take it. Hotels have plenty of places
> for crowds.
>
> Hope to see you there,

> ~sdpm~
>
> The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org
>
> List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org
>
> If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list,
> you can send mail to <majordomo at happyfunball.pm.org> with the following
> command in the body of your email message:
>
>     unsubscribe san-diego-pm-list
>
> If you ever need to get in contact with the owner of the list,
> (if you have trouble unsubscribing, or have questions about the
> list itself) send email to <owner-san-diego-pm-list at happyfunball.pm.org> .
> This is the general rule for most mailing lists when you need
> to contact a human.

~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org