San Diego Perl Mongers meeting tonight

Todd Rockhold todd.rockhold at ontogen.com
Wed Dec 19 14:01:06 CST 2001

~sdpm~
I plan to attend the meeting tonight, but just in case here are a couple of
JAPHs to
chew on in case nobody has some real, production (or soon-to-be production)
code
to talk about.  At dinner with Merlyn the other night I told El Supremo,
a.k.a Bobby Kleeman, that I'd come up with a JAPH to talk about. These are
suggestions for backup material for tonight's meeting, not intended as
questions for the list.

---------------------------
perl -Mstrict -we '$_ = "goto F.print chop;\n=rekcaH lreP rehtona
tsuJ";F1:eval'
---------------------------

You can easily see that "Just another Perl Hacker" is backwards, but how
does it output?

The message spelled backwards also seemed attractive to the author of this
other
JAPH, who said:

My program is impossible to understand even if you fix it up with good
formatting and reasonable variable names. What is @P for? Why does it have
the value ".URRUU\c8R"?
If you think you understand this program, but you can't explain @P, then you
are mistaken, because @P is the central data structure of the entire program

@P=split//,".URRUU\c8R";@d=split//,"\nrekcah xinU / lreP rehtona tsuJ";sub
p{
@p{"r$p","u$p"}=(P,P);pipe"r$p","u$p";++$p;($q*=2)+=$f=!fork;map{$P=$P[$f^or
^$P/ix?$P:close$_}keys%p}p;p;p;p;p;map{$p{$_}=~/^[P.]/&&
close$_}%p;wait until$?;map{/^r/&&<$_>}%p;$_=$d[$q];sleep
rand(2)if/\S/;print