Net::FTP module

Jarom Smith smith at newmediamerchants.com
Wed May 3 17:01:41 CDT 2000

~sdpm~
webtemp at ucsd-pps.ucsd.edu writes:
>I'm trying to download(ftp) a file based on the current date.  When I grab
>the year from localtime(), I get 100.  When I print the complete time, I
>get
>2000.  Is this supposed to
>be the correct response?

the time you get back from localtime is an offset from the year 1900,
probably more for compatibility with C's localtime() than for any other
reason.  See the documentation on localtime in your favorite book or
online:

perldoc perlfunc  (skip down to the localtime part)

       localtime EXPR
               Converts a time as returned by the time function
               to a 9-element array with the time analyzed for
               the local time zone.  Typically used as follows:

                   #  0    1    2     3     4    5     6     7     8
                   ($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year,$wday,$yday,$isdst) =

localtime(time);

               All array elements are numeric, and come straight
               out of a struct tm.  In particular this means that
               $mon has the range 0..11 and $wday has the range
               0..6 with sunday as day 0.  Also, $year is the
               number of years since 1900, that is, $year is 123
               in year 2023.

               If EXPR is omitted, uses the current time
               (localtime(time)).

               In a scalar context, returns the ctime(3) value:
                   $now_string = localtime;  # e.g., "Thu Oct 13 04:54:34
1994"

               Also see the Time::Local module, and the
               strftime(3) and mktime(3) function available via
               the POSIX module.

jarom smith
vp technology
new media merchants, inc.