email

Joel Fentin joel at cts.com
Fri Feb 25 15:57:20 CST 2000

~sdpm~
CHRIS:
>What happens when you run the script from the command line or in -w
>mode?

I am not sure what you are asking. By command line do you mean
telnet? If so, they (Verio) will not let me telnet. If you mean
something else, please spell it out.
===================
joel at cts.com so

Do you mean joel\@cts.com ?
===================
>and you should check if
>your open statement actually works, like thus:
>
>open (SENDMAIL,"|/USER/LIB/sendmail -oi -t -odg") or die "yipes!";

I added  or die "yipes!" to the program and ran it again. The
window in netscape said: internal server error. Here is the error
log:

/u/web/theede/cgi-local/MailTest.pl
apache: [Fri Feb 25 14:03:00
2000] [error] [client 204.94.75.117] File does not exist:
/u/web/theede/stats/statistics/
apache: [Fri Feb 25 14:45:50
2000] [error] [client 204.94.75.117] Premature end of script
headers: /u/web/theede/cgi-local/MailTest.pl
=====================

>It looks like the path might be invalid (what OS is this under?) so
>check if /USER/LIB/sendmail actually exists.

This is from a page called cgi_scripts.cfm:

If a script calls another file within your account, but the
script does NOT require a
                    URL, you need to use the system path. Instead
of using the absolute path to
                    your home directory ("/www26/web/someid"),
you should instead use the
                    DOCUMENT_ROOT environment variable
($ENV{DOCUMENT_ROOT} in Perl) to
                    determine the path of your files or programs
within a script.

                         Change this:
/www23/web/yourid/data/fact.html
                         To this:
$ENV{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/data/fact.html

                         The system path to the sendmail program
on our UNIX server is
                         /usr/lib/sendmail
                         The system path to the date command on
our UNIX server is /sbin/date
========================
RUSS:

>I would think this script would work, so long as:
>
>1. You are running on a UNIX machine (unless sendmail is
>available on other machines);

I think the above indicates it is a unix machine. I don't
understand what you mean by other machines.

>and
>
>2. Your UNIX machine is configured to use sendmail, and that you
>have permissions to execute it, and that it does indeed reside at
>/USER/LIB/sendmail

The above seems to indicate that's where it is. Verio seems
hostile to perl. I had to ask the Verio support twice if email
works with a perl script. They admitted that it does, but there
is no support for perl. There are oodles of help pages for HTML
and not a word about perl.
======================
PARLAND

>  I just put together an automated mailing script.....

Thank you but I need to learn to do this in perl. My current
application involves a special purpose mail merge program.
--
Joel Fentin    tel: 760-749-8863    FAX: 760-749-8864

email: joel at cts.com     web: http://efm.simplenet.com
~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org