[Saltlake-pm] FOOD! (?)

David Oswald daoswald at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 11:46:14 PDT 2013

At the last meeting the suggestion for food at our PM meetings came
up.  Of course I think that's a fantastic idea.

Prior art: Los Angeles PerlMongers typically have pizza provided by
Demand Media.  Unix Users Association of Southern California typically
has Mexican food provided by Media Temple.   The last couple of PLUG
meetings have had food as well.  In one case, the host provided.  In
another case, a talent-seeker provided.

We would love to seek some similar generosity for our November
meeting.  If you know of a company that would like to sponsor
techie-friendly cuisine, please let me know.  If you think your
company wouldn't be interested, it still never hurts to mention it.
If you can think of someone else's company that I ought to get in
touch with, I'm open to try.

Perks to food sponsors:

*   Feel free to stand up and make an announcement (we would let you
anyway, but food helps us to hear your announcement better by subduing
the sounds of our stomachs groaning).

*   Be seen as "one of those cool companies that people who like food
would love to work at."

*   Food will encourage more of your own people to attend.  When your
people attend, they learn something, or encounter new ideas.  Newly
learned stuff, and fresh ideas make your people more effective
developers.  Maybe your people will even teach a newcomer something,
which leads me to...

*   Food will attract more newcomers.  Someday you might hire one of
these newcomers.  Or someday one of these newcomers might develop a
CPAN module that you don't even know your business can't do with out.

* A strong Perl Mongers community in Utah is good for the Utah tech
scene; enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm, and that breeds a thriving
business environment.  Food helps to keep enthusiastic people
enthusiastic. ;)

* We will happily acknowledge the generous contribution on our
website, mailing list, and Facebook page, so that people know you are
supporting grass roots groups in the local tech community.

--

David Oswald
daoswald at gmail.com