[roch-pm] [Fwd: Perl.com Update: An AxKit Image Gallery]

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Wed Sep 25 22:22:23 CDT 2002

        		  Perl.com update

MACROMEDIA COLDFUSION MX: BUILD RICH INTERNET APPS FAST
ColdFusion MX lets you harness Java, XML, and web
services without the steep learning curve. FREE TRIAL.
Visit: http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/hub/08/13/top

Hello, world! This is Simon Cozens, www.perl.com managing editor,
bringing you the latest goings-on from the world of Perl and our
own site.

* Perl at large.

First, releases! A new version of the QT bindings for Perl,
PerlQT 3, has been released. This is a major update that brings
the library up to date with QT3. Those of you who want to build
QT- and KDE-based applications in Perl should take a look at this
tutorial:

     http://perlqt.infonium.com/dist/current/doc/index.html

Can you host a Yet Another Perl Conference in your city? Yet
Another Society has issued a call for venues for the next YAPC.
There's a helpful text file available outlining the venue
requirements, and a YAPC distribution on CPAN explaining what you
need to do if you think you can host next year's conference:

     http://www.yapc.org/venue-reqs.txt
     http://search.cpan.org/author/LENZO/YAPC-1.01/YAPC.pm
     http://search.cpan.org/author/LENZO/YAPC-1.01/YAPC/Venue.pm

And finally, are you part of a Perl Mongers group that's been
pretty quiet recently? If so, chances are you'll have dropped
off the great Perl Monger Groups List. If that's the case, please
get in touch with Dave Cross, the Monger Herder, and let him know
you're still alive:

     http://www.pm.org/groups/
     user_groups at pm.org

* What's new on www.perl.com?

Piers brings us this week's Perl 6 summary with tales of the
neverending key story, the excruciating difference between ()
and [], hot-pluggable regular expression operators, and much more:

     http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/09/p6pdigest/20020922.html

Barrie Slaymaker is back with another article in his
"Introduction to AxKit" series. Although we've been thinking of
AxKit as an XML application server, this week we use it for two
things that are definitely not XML: image data and system
calls to list directories. Barrie takes these two ideas and
turns AxKit into an image gallery server:

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/09/24/axkit.html

For next month, we're considering running an "Ask the Camel"
column here on perl.com; consider it a Perl equivalent of
"Ask Abby". Send us your burning Perl questions and we'll select
the most interesting ones and publish answers to them.
If this is something you'd like to see, please send us interesting
questions! Send your questions to rt-askthecamel at simon-cozens.org.

     rt-askthecamel at simon-cozens.org

Also, I'd like to hear your thoughts about what we can do to make
the site more interesting to you. Are there any topics you'd like
to see covered? Should there be more articles each week? Is there
any part of the Web site that you have any comments on? Please
send your thoughts to me at the address below, and I'll see what
we can do.

Simon Cozens
<simon at oreillynet.com>

O'Reilly Mac OS X Conference
Sept 30-Oct 3, 2002, Santa Clara, CA
Get your Mac OS X credentials from these leaders and innovators:
James Gosling, Jordan Hubbard, Wilfredo Sanchez Vega, David Pogue,
Sal Soghoian, Stuart Cheshire, Tim O'Reilly, and more.
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/macosx2002/?CMP=EM4944

*** Featured Articles ***

An AxKit Image Gallery
Continuing our look at AxKit, Barrie demonstrates the use of
AxKit on non-XML data: images and operating system calls.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/09/24/axkit.html

***

This week on Perl 6 (9/16 - 9/22, 2002)
The neverending keys thread, lists versus list references, and a
load besides...

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/09/p6pdigest/20020922.html

***

This week on Perl 6 (9/9 - 9/15, 2002)
Goals for the next release, arrays and hashes, hypothetical
variables, getting more Parrot hackers, and a load besides...

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/09/p6pdigest/20020915.html

***

Embedding Webservers
Web browsers are ubiquitous these days - it's hard to find a
machine without one. To make use of a Web browser, you need a
Web server, and they are simple enough to write that you can
stick them almost anywhere.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/09/17/ewispp.html

***

Retire your debugger, log smartly with Log::Log4perl!
Michael Schilli describes a new way of adding logging facilities
to your code, with the help of the log4perl module - a port of
Java's log4j.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/09/11/log4perl.html

***

Writing CGI Applications with Perl
There are roughly four bazillion books on Perl and CGI available
at the moment; one of the most recent is Brent Michalski and Kevin
Meltzer's Writing CGI Applications with Perl. Kevin and Brent are
long-standing members of the Perl community - can they do justice
to this troublesome topic? Find out in this month's book review!

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/09/10/review.html

Build a Better Bookshelf with Safari Tech Books Online

Get your first 14 days free when you subscribe to Safari Tech
Books Online, with over 700 of the best technical books available from
O'Reilly and other top publishers. Select ten books to
search, bookmark, and annotate.  Cut and paste code examples.
Find your answers fast. Sign up today!
https://www.oreillynet.com/safaripromo/oreilly-14.html