[roch-pm] [Fwd: Perl.com: Quantum::Entanglement]

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Fri Aug 10 21:28:19 CDT 2001

                  www.perl.com update

NuSphere MySQL Advantage delivers Enhanced MySQL to run your
business. Row-level locking, ACID transactions, crash recovery and
more are supplied by Gemini, a new MySQL table type that provides
the performance, scalability and reliability required by the most
demanding applications.  Get the NuSphere MySQL Advantage today.
Visit http://www.nusphere.com/op

Hello, world!

This is Simon Cozens, managing editor of www.perl.com, here to
bring you the week's news and developments both in the Perl world
and on our own site.

* Perl at large.

The big Perl news this week is, of course, YAPC::Europe. This
year's conference focused on security in all its various guises.
We'll bring you a full report on the conference next week, but
you can get eyewitness reports by looking at the use.perl
diaries of various attendees:

     http://use.perl.org/~acme
     http://use.perl.org/~quidity
     http://use.perl.org/~binky
     http://use.perl.org/~blech
     http://use.perl.org/~james

A Conway's work is never done! Our illustrious Damian, only barely
recovered from his mammoth speaking program at the Perl Conference
is back on the road again; he's heading for Seattle, where Perl
hackers can hear him give his terrifyingly beautiful talk on
"Extreme Perl - The horror that is SelfGOL".

     http://zipcon.net/spug/
     http://yetanother.org/damian/events/Extreme.html

Maybe Mark-Jason Dominus's barf bags should be supplied... (You
may enjoy reading about some of Mark's other TPC talks too.)

     http://perl.plover.com/yak/dirty/
     http://perl.plover.com/yak/

Be sure to check Damian's web pages to keep up to date with his
speaking tours.

     http://yetanother.org/damian/

Rich Bowen shipped a huge slew of -- well, okay, four -- Date:: modules,
for all your non-standard date processing needs: Date::Passover gets
you Jewish festivals, Date::Chinese gets you the current year's
animal; the other two are more interesting, being helper modules
to assist in calculation of other useful facts about dates:
Date::GoldenNumber tells you a year's golden number, useful for
quickly working out the day for any given date, and Date::SundayLetter
is another algorithm for the same sort of thing.

     http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Date-Passover
     http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Date-Chinese
     http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Date-GoldenNumber
     http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Date-SundayLetter

If date and time modules are your thing, consider subscribing to the
datetime list, set up to coordinate the efforts of date and time
module authors:

     mailto:datetime-subscribe at perl.org

Now, normally I wouldn't be telling you about interesting
developments on the Python mailing lists, but this time, Perl
is directly concerned.  Eric Raymond wondered out loud whether or
not it would be worth taking the Python idea and making some real
mileage out of it -- that is, to look at developing an interpreter
that can share bytecode between Perl and Python. (And maybe other
languages too.)

As Eric predicted, the challenges are as much social as they are
technical; trying to merge the development efforts of the Perl
and Python communities is not an easy task. (and I know because
I've tried to do it, with language-dev.)

However, the idea is out there and people are playing with it. We've
seen a lot of discussion on python-dev of how Perl does its stuff,
and we're hoping that'll move over to language-dev and give us a
clear picture of what everyone wants from a shared-bytecode
interpreter.

We will, of course, keep you posted.

* What's new on perl.com

This week is the last leg of my whistle-stop tour of the US, and
so I have the last smaller-than-usual Perl 5 Porters summary for
you. This week brings news of The Great SDK Debate, work on
subroutine prototyping, -Wall fixing, and much much more:

      http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/08/p5pdigest/20010808.html

Bryan Warnock is back with his summary of what's going on on the
Perl 6 mailing lists. However, more importantly, he talks about
some of the Perl 6 goings-on at the Perl conference, including
the State of the Onion, the Perl 5 Porters meeting and the Perl6
Q&A. Read more!

      http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/08/p6pdigest/20010809.html

Quantum::Superpositions rocked the Perl world, as it provided a
way to get more than one thing done at once. (in constant time.)
Quantum::Entanglement goes yet further, using solid quantum physics
theory to get an infinite number of things done at once. To tell
you more would be to spoil the surprise, but the module's author,
Alex Gough, tells us what it is and how it works...

     http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/08/08/quantum.html

SC

The O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference

Inventing the Post-Web World
September 18-21, Washington, DC, Omni Shoreham Hotel
Early bird registration ends August 17--Register Now and Save!
Hear from Paul Prescod, Jeremie Miller, Brandon Wiley, Steven Hazel,
Eric Reis--learn about  XML-RPC, SOAP, WSDL, UDDI, Freenet,
Jabber--100 sessions to choose from. http://conferences.oreilly.com/p2p/

*** Featured Articles ***

Quantum::Entanglement
Quantum::Superpositions rocked the Perl world, as it provided a
way to get more than one thing done at once. (in constant time.)
Quantum::Entanglement goes yet further, using solid quantum physics
theory to get an infinite number of things done at once. To tell
you more would be to spoil the surprise, but the module's author,
Alex Gough, tells us what it is and how it works.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/08/08/quantum.html

***

Creating VoiceXML Applications With Perl
Kip Hampton shows you how to use VoiceXML and Perl to connect the
telephone to the Web.

http://xml.com/pub/a/2001/08/09/perlxml.html

***

This Week on p5p 2001/08/07
Subroutine Prototypes, the Great SDK Debate, and much more!

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/08/p5pdigest/20010808.html

***

People Behind Perl : Artur Bergman
We continue our series on the People Behind Perl with an interview
with Artur Bergman, the driving force behind much of the work on
Perl's new threading model. While the model was created by Gurusamy
Sarathy, Artur's really spent a lot of good time and effort making
iThreads usable to the ordinary Perl programmer. Artur tells us
about what got him into Perl development, and what he's doing with
threads right now.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/08/01/artur.html

***

The State of the Onion 5
Larry Wall gives his annual summary of the state of the Perl world;
this year, as one might expect, the major focus was on Perl 6. Larry
gave 33 lightning talks of 55 seconds each, each of those outlining
another element of Perl 6's design. We bring you a rundown on what
Perl 6 is going to be.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/07/25/onion.html

Sister Sites:
---------------------------------
O'Reilly Network
http://www.oreillynet.com
The Source for Open and Emerging Technologies.

XML.com
http://xml.com/
XML from the Inside Out.

ONLamp.com
http://onlamp.com
O'Reilly Network's High-Performance Web Development Site.

O'Reilly and Associates
http://www.oreilly.com/
O'Reilly computer books, software, and online publishing.

NOTE: Please make certain to unsubscribe from the email
address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email elists-admin at oreillynet.com